Elevator Safety Tips
When you approach the elevator:
- Know your destination. Push the UP or DOWN button for the direction you want to go.
- Stand aside for exiting passengers.
- Wait for the next car if the elevator is full.
- Do not try to stop a closing door with anything including hands, feet, canes, etc. Wait for the next elevator.
- Take the stairs if there is a fire in the building.
When you enter and leave the elevator:
- Watch your step, and enter and exit carefully.
- Hold children and pets firmly.
- Stand clear of the doors, and keep clothes and carry-ons away from the opening.
- Push and hold the Door Open button if doors need to be held open, or ask someone to push the button for you.
When riding on an elevator:
- Stand back from the doors.
- Hold onto the handrail if one is available.
- Pay attention to the floor indicators.
- If the doors do not open when the elevator stops, push the Door Open button.
What someone should do when an elevator stops between floors:
- Utilize the alarm button and wait for assistance.
- If a phone is available, follow instructions to summon help.
- Remain patient. There is plenty of air and the interior of the elevator is designed for passenger safety.
What someone should NOT do when an elevator stops between floors:
- Do not attempt to force open the doors.
- Do not attempt to leave the elevator. The elevator hatch is designed for professional personnel who will provide assistance from the outside of the elevator cab.